Career Opportunities at CommonLit
Content Marketing Manager
CommonLit is a nonprofit edtech startup that is changing the way millions of students learn how to read and write. CommonLit is dedicated to providing high-quality literacy instruction to low-income students and students of color to prepare them for success in college and careers. We operate a comprehensive online literacy program in English and Spanish for grades 3-12 (commonlit.org) that is growing rapidly. Through the platform, teachers can assign lessons to students, grade their work digitally, and track students’ academic gains.
Soon after launching its digital platform in 2016, CommonLit’s free program began to spread virally. By 2020, over 20 million students in over 90,000 schools were registered for the program. During that time, CommonLit’s team began developing paid packages that include on-demand training for teachers, additional assessments, data tracking for schools, and more to help ensure a successful district-wide rollout of the program. CommonLit’s team has successfully reached product-market fit; we now have scaled up sales and account management departments and successful partnerships with hundreds of school districts around the country. We are ready to scale further!
We’re on a mission to hire the very best and are committed to creating exceptional employee experiences where everyone is respected and has access to equal opportunity. We realize that new ideas can come from everywhere in the organization, and we know the next big idea could be yours!
About the role:
CommonLit is looking for a Content Marketing Manager to join us as the second marketing hire as we build our in-house marketing team. The Content Marketing Manager will pave the path for building CommonLit’s content strategy and will develop new systems to achieve strategic goals. The Content Marketing Manager will implement content marketing programs that drive discovery, consideration, and usage of CommonLit. We are looking for a self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced environment and has demonstrated success with content planning and production. You have experience driving and implementing content strategy, writing copy, performing content audits, managing a content calendar, SEO expertise, and reporting. You will work cross-functionally to drive utilization of the free and paid programs.
To apply, please send a cover letter to email@example.com with the title “Content Marketing Manager” in the subject line. In your cover letter, be sure to describe how you have driven positive outcomes in your previous marketing roles.
- Develop and execute content strategy that attracts qualified audiences to CommonLit
- Research, write, and develop marketing emails and newsletters, blogs, social posts, press releases, and case studies
- Manage editorial calendar that builds on key themes of go-to-market strategy
- Drive SEO strategy and produce search content that gets indexed, ranks high, and drives traffic
- Refine the style, voice, and tone of CommonLit and keep content on-brand
- Evaluate and figure out the best channels to engage target audiences
- Track content performance against goals to determine how to optimize future content roadmaps
- Partner closely with Product, Sales, and the Marketing Director to develop and prioritize new content ideas that connect relevant information to user intent
- Stay up to date on industry trends and conduct research to identify additional opportunities for content
- 3+ years in content marketing or copywriting
- You’re a strong writer, storyteller, editor and content strategist
- You have a consistent track record of driving top of funnel growth and product usage
- You have in-depth knowledge of content creation, content amplification, and SEO
- You understand how to drive value from and measure the impact of content
- You are ambitious and eager to work in a fast-paced environment
- You are a problem solver and have strong organizational skills
- You sweat the details, are data-driven, and welcome feedback
- You are eager to learn the education landscape and bring CommonLit’s innovative program to low-income schools across the United States
- Location: Remote
- Pay: $85,000 - $90,000 plus performance-based incentives
- How to Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Content Marketing Manager in the subject line.
- Apply by: June 24, 2022
As an equal opportunity employer, CommonLit values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics. If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.