Career Opportunities at CommonLit
Platform Engineer (full-stack, Ruby)
At CommonLit we’ve built a platform that’s helped improve outcomes for millions of students and enabled teachers to do more. We’ve built an organization of awesome, mission-driven people who love working here. Come join us. We have a small team of engineers that works closely together to solve problems. We pair frequently (but not all the time) and collaborate to get the best solutions. In the past year, we’ve tripled our user base and had an even larger increase in traffic as teachers and students have made CommonLit a more regular and central part of their literacy education. In addition to working on some interesting scaling challenges, we're tackling ambitious new features to make it easier for teachers to build better lessons and for students to get more out of their reading curriculum.
Here's some of the things we've built in the past year.
- built and launched an interim assessments (exams) platform that’s central to CommonLit’s long-term sustainability strategy with over 100k students in our pilot
- fully internationalized our application with Spanish-language controls and texts, launching CommonLit Español in Mexico through a grant with Google.org
- rebuilt from the ground up key integrations with Google Classroom and Clever to make it easy for teachers to roster their classes in CommonLit
- designed a new read-aloud and translate solution to help students who need support through audio or translations
- given students the ability to annotate their text to show their teacher their thoughts, encouraging a richer interaction with our content.
We'll be doing a lot more, so we need your help.
- You're comfortable in Ruby or have experience with another object-oriented language and want to learn Ruby
- Deep desire to learn and to share with your teammates.
- Ability to work closely in a team to collaborate on problems and build solutions that can be understood and maintained by others
- Technologies we use: Ruby, Rails, Sidekqi, Postgres, Jest. You don't have to know all of these, but exposure helps!
- Location: Washington, D.C.
- Pay: Commensurate with experience.
- How to Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with Platform Engineer (full-stack, Ruby) in the subject line.
- Apply by: March 15, 2019