Parent Guide > Behind The Native American Achievement Gap
Welcome to the parent guide for this text! Read below to find out about what your child is reading in class and how you can support him/her at home.
This week in class, we’re reading "Behind The Native American Achievement Gap" by Celeste Headlee.
In "Behind the Native American Achievement Gap," Celeste Headlee interviews Anton Treuer, a professor of Ojibwe History and Language, about the education of Native Americans.
"How has America changed over time?", "What are the effects of prejudice?", "What is the goal of education?", and "Can you change your identity?"
Ways to support your child:
Ask your child about this interview at home:
- What was "Behind The Native American Achievement Gap" about?
- What did you learn about America?
- What did you learn about Education & Knowledge?
- What did you learn about Identity?
- What did you learn about Prejudice & Discrimination?
- Watch Restructuring schools to nurture Native American students at home with your child.