Parent Guide > Duck & Cover: School Drills During the Cold War
Welcome to the parent guide for this text! Read below to find out about what your child is reading in class and how you can support him/her at home.
This week in class, we’re reading "Duck & Cover: School Drills During the Cold War" by Jessica McBirney.
This article describes the "Duck and Cover" drills and other efforts at nuclear attack preparedness made by the United States government during the Cold War period.
"How has America changed over time?", "How does fear drive action?", and "How are we changed by war?"
Ways to support your child:
Ask your child about this informational text at home:
- What was "Duck & Cover: School Drills During the Cold War" about?
- What did you learn about America?
- What did you learn about Fear & Paranoia?
- What did you learn about War & Peace?
- Watch the following clips with your child at home: