Parent Guide > Excerpt from "A Time for Choosing" Speech
Welcome to the parent guide for this text! Read below to find out about what your child is reading in class and how you can support him/her at home.
This week in class, we’re reading "Excerpt from "A Time for Choosing" Speech" by Ronald Reagan.
"A Time for Choosing," also known simply as "The Speech," was presented by Hollywood actor and motivational speaker Ronald Reagan during the 1964 U.S. presidential election in favor of Republican candidate Barry Goldwater. It is considered the event that launched Reagan's political career. In this famous speech, Reagan argues for "the maximum of individual freedom."
"What makes America unique?", "Which is more important: freedom or security?", and "How can we achieve peace?"
Ways to support your child:
Ask your child about this speech at home:
- What was "Excerpt from "A Time for Choosing" Speech" about?
- What did you learn about America?
- What did you learn about Justice, Freedom & Equality?
- What did you learn about War & Peace?
- Watch Reagan - A Time for Choosing at home with your child.