Parent Guide > Total Control in North Korea
Welcome to the parent guide for this text! Read below to find out about what your child is reading in class and how you can support him/her at home.
This week in class, we’re reading "Total Control in North Korea" by Jessica McBirney.
This article describes life in North Korea under totalitarian government rule. In North Korea, the government has total control over the economy, the military, education, and people's access to information—and it punishes those who try to change the status quo.
"Why do people follow the crowd?", "How does power corrupt?", and "Why do people resist change?"
Ways to support your child:
Ask your child about this informational text at home:
- What was "Total Control in North Korea" about?
- What did you learn about Power & Greed?
- What did you learn about Social Change & Revolution?
- What did you learn about Social Pressure?
- Watch the following clips with your child at home: