Exciting updates to CommonLit’s ELA curriculum for grades 6-8
The CommonLit 360 Curriculum Edition 2.0 for Middle School (grades 6-8) will be fully published by mid-July! Also, next month any Edition 1.0 units that are being fully replaced in our new Edition 2.0 curriculum will be moved to the CommonLit Library.
We can’t wait for you to dive into Edition 2.0 – it is sure to transform learning outcomes for your students and delight your team!
New and Updated Edition 2.0 Units Feature:
- An even wider range of text genres and modes, including rhetorical analysis, poetry, multimedia and primary source documents
- Culminating tasks that include authentic opportunities for real world application, including project-focused learning opportunities
- Additional texts in each unit that support students’ knowledge building and build reading stamina
- Optional during reading questions that foster reading comprehension
- Additional texts from diverse authors
- More explicit instructional guidance for teachers
Our New Edition 2.0 Will Also Include:
New Novel Units
New full-length texts have been selected for unit three of each grade. The novel selections more closely align to grade-level standards and the themes and knowledge building in CommonLit’s year-long plan for each grade. Each novel unit includes the addition of writing lessons and at least one Related Media Exploration.
We’ve enhanced some teacher and student favorites with the addition of more contemporary texts and additional knowledge building.
Newly Designed Units
Each grade level includes one completely new unit that builds students’ knowledge of and familiarity with different genres and modes of texts.
Units with New Project-Focused Assessments
Research units (units 4) and argumentative units (units 6) at each grade level will include updated culminating tasks that require students to demonstrate their learning in innovative ways. Some examples include:
Supportive Guidance for Internalization and Planning
We’ve added new supports to ensure teachers can best meet their students’ needs, including:
- Additional instructional guidance for each lesson
- Clear and supportive pacing suggestions across grade levels and units
- Updated, easy-to-use rubrics for writing, listening and speaking
Options for Formative Assessment
To help teachers easily measure student comprehension, we’ve added Unit Skills Assessments and enhanced professional learning, available for purchase with our School Essentials PRO Plus package. The Unit Skills Assessments give teachers and instructional leaders the touch points they need to plan strong targeted instruction within CommonLit 360.
The PRO Plus package also includes school-wide data tracking, personalized, professional development, and much more.
We’re excited for you to use these Edition 2.0 units and materials in your classroom, which will be fully available by mid-July.
If you would like to learn more about School Essentials PRO Plus, or have questions about how to best roll out CommonLit 360 in your school or district, reach out to our team.