Parent Guide > Fly High, Bessie Coleman
Welcome to the parent guide for this text! Read below to find out about what your child is reading in class and how you can support him/her at home.
This week in class, we’re reading "Fly High, Bessie Coleman" by Jane Sutcliffe.
In the informational text "Fly High, Bessie Coleman," Jane Sutcliffe discusses the first African American to become a licensed pilot in the world.
As we read, we will be discussing the themes of Prejudice & Discrimination, Resilience & Success, and Social Change & Revolution as they relate to the text. We are trying to answer these big questions :
"What are the effects of prejudice?", "How do people create change?", and "Why do people succeed?"
Ways to support your child:
Ask your child about this informational text at home:
- What was "Fly High, Bessie Coleman" about?
- What did you learn about Prejudice & Discrimination?
- What did you learn about Resilience & Success?
- What did you learn about Social Change & Revolution?
- Watch the following clips with your child at home: