Parent Guide > The Story of Ida B. Wells
Welcome to the parent guide for this text! Read below to find out about what your child is reading in class and how you can support him/her at home.
This week in class, we’re reading "The Story of Ida B. Wells" by Shannon Moreau.
This is a short biography of Ida B. Wells and the personal tragedy she experienced that pushed her to raise national awareness about violence and discrimination against African Americans.
As we read, we will be discussing the themes of America, Honor & Courage, Prejudice & Discrimination, and Social Change & Revolution as they relate to the text. We are trying to answer these big questions :
"How has America changed over time?", "What are the effects of prejudice?", "How do people create change?", and "What makes a hero?"
Ways to support your child:
Ask your child about this informational text at home:
- What was "The Story of Ida B. Wells" about?
- What did you learn about America?
- What did you learn about Honor & Courage?
- What did you learn about Prejudice & Discrimination?
- What did you learn about Social Change & Revolution?
- Watch Ida B. Wells - Anti-Lynching Crusader at home with your child.